West Point won its fourth consecutive Class 5A football championship — and MHSAA record-tying 11th state title — in the final game of the 2019 Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi Gridiron Classic at the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg.
The Green Wave (15-1) defeated Picayune 38-26 to match South Panola’s 11 football championships. The Maroon Tide seeking a third title since 2011, finished 14-1.
Also on December 7th:
- In Class 4A, Corinth defeated Poplarville 55-21 for its first state football championship. The Warriors finished 14-1. The Hornets ended the season 9-6.
- In Class 2A, Taylorsville defeated Northside 49-18 for its second state championship in three seasons and seventh overall. The Tartars finished 15-1, while the runner-up Gators ended the season 14-1.
In games of December 6th:
- In Class 3A, Jefferson Davis County defeated Noxubee County 25-15 for a second championship in three years since the school was formed by the merger of Bassfield and Prentiss. The Jaguars — who started the season 2-6 — won their final eight games to finish 10-6 and earn coach Lance Mancuso his MHSAA-record eighth football state title. The Tigers ended the season 10-6.
- In Class 1A, Nanih Waiya successfully defended its title be defeating Lumberton 28-13. The Warriors finished 14-2. The Panthers ended the season 12-4.
- In Class 6A, Oxford rallied from an 18-point halftime deficit to defeat Oak Grove 31-21. The Chargers finished 14-1 en route to their first football state championship. The Warriors ended the season 11-4.
C Spire Player of the Game
- Class 6A: Jeremiah Pegues, Oxford
- Class 5A: Brandon Harris, West Point
- Class 4A: Dontayvious Sheffield, Corinth
- Class 3A: Keyser Booth, Jefferson Davis County
- Class 2A: Jeffery Pittman, Taylorsville
- Class 1A: Donovan Turner, Nanih Waiya
C Spire Scholar-Athletes of the Game
- Class 6A: John Meagher, Oxford and Graham McCarty, Oak Grove
- Class 5A: Robert Gray Barry, West Point and Jay Mickle, Picayune
- Class 4A: Carter Bonds, Corinth and Tyler Knight, Poplarville
- Class 3A: Keyser Booth, Jefferson Davis County and Trillo Brown, Noxubee County
- Class 2A: Semaj Daniels, Northside and Chanton McCray, Taylorsville
- Class 1A: Devean Turner, Nanih Waiya and Roland O’Banner, Lumberton
Statistics from all Gridiron Classic games: