The Tupelo boys and Madison Central girls continued their dominance at the MHSAA/Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi Swim State Championships on October 26th at the Tupelo Aquatic Center.
Tupelo finished with 137 points in Class II (6A), outscoring runners-up Madison Central (90) and Biloxi (47.5) to win a 13th consecutive boys championship.
Madison Central totaled 147 points, outscoring Tupelo (84) and Oxford (79) to earn a 6th straight girls title for Class II.
St. Andrew’s swept the Class I (5A/4A/3A/2A/1A) championships.
The Saints finished with 136 points, outscoring St. Joseph (114) and Pearl River Central (61) for their 5th boys state championship since 2012.
The Lady Saints edged runners-up St. Joseph (89) and Our Lady Academy (88) for their 5th girls state title since the MHSAA went to its current two-classification swim format in 2011.
A total of six MHSAA Overall State Meet records were broken:
- Taylor Williams, Center Hill, 56.07 seconds in the boys 100-yard breaststroke
- Julia Dennis, Oxford, 23.42 in the girls 50 freestyle
- Cassie Howell, Madison Central, 51.45 in the girls 100 freestyle
- Gabrielle Ivey, Ocean Springs, 1 minute, 52.51 seconds in the girls 200 freestyle
- Cassie Howell, Madison Central, 54.87 in the girls 100 backstroke
- Madison Central, 3:36.82 in the girls 400 relay (Ella Gibbs, Cassie Howell, Ella Thomas, Kimberly McCaffrey)