MS solo and Ensemble MPA Handouts
Saturday, Feb 1
Ridgeland High School
586 Sunnybrook Rd, Ridgeland, MS 39157
All ensembles/soloists perform one selection for one Judge. Soloist who score a Superior will earn a medal; Ensembles who score a Superior will earn a trophy (or medals if requested on registration form). Teachers must be a member of MMEA or ACDA for their students to participate.
Vocal solo (art songs, spirituals, folk songs)
Vocal musical Theatre/Broadway
- 2-20 Students for 10th-12th high school – not conducted
- 2-24 students for 7th-9th junior high- CAN be conducted
- 2-24 students for 6th grade- CAN be conducted
Each singer must provide an original (with measures numbered) for the judge. Schools will need to provide their own accompanist.
Sixth-Ninth grade solos and ensembles are sponsored by MSMEA. Tenth-Twelfth grade solos and ensembles are sponsored by MSACDA. If an ensemble has a mixture of 7-12, the payment goes to the MAJORITY of that ensemble. For example, if an ensemble has 2 9th graders and 4 10th -12th graders then that payment is to MSACDA. Fee is $5 per student per event.
OUTSTANDING SOLOIST/ENSEMBLES– The judge will choose up to 4 OUTSTANDING soloists and/or ensembles to be invited to an optional Masterclass that will be held during the MS MMEA/ACDA Convention in Hattiesburg, MS. They will perform the same piece and work with a vocal coach/voice professor in the area.
We realize that these singers may be in the all-state choirs and may miss a portion of rehearsal but we also acknowledge that this is a unique opportunity.
SUGGESTIONS OF BOOKS FOR SOLOS
– The “First Book” Series compiled by Joan Frey Boytim – collections for soprano solos, mezzo soprano/alto solos, tenor solos, baritone/bass solos
– The Heritage Solo series – High or Low
– Songs for Bass (or Low Voice) in A Comfortable Range by Leonard Van Camp
– The Young Singer Series by Richard Row
– BriLee Vocal Books
- Heros and Vagabonds arranged by Mark Patterson (great for boys’ changing voices)
- Let Nature Sing Various Composers
- Takes of Land and Sea by Mark Patterson
- Traveling On Ruth ELain Schram
- My Heart Sings by Mark Patterson