The MHSAA conducted a Zoom session on Wednesday, August 24 at 10 a.m. with FAA Aviation Safety Inspector Albert McCray regarding the use of drones at school events.
Due to FAA rules, the PowerPoint and Zoom recording is not available to be shared.
If you have questions regarding drone use at schools, please contact Mr. McCray at Albert.L.McCray@faa.gov or 601-664-9814.
Highlights of the Zoom meeting:
- To operate a drone on school grounds, you must have a 107 certification
- To fly at night, the drone must have strobe lights
- Do not fly the drone over people
- If you are operating in a controlled airspace (near an airport), you must get approval to fly
See the FAA website for more details
- Download the mobile app to determine if you are in a controlled airspace
- Fly at or below 400′ in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, and E) only with prior authorization by using LAANC or DroneZone.