2020-21 Cross Country
Note: This is not an exhaustive list and there might be additional steps in each community to help prevent the spread of virus. Even when taking all precautions, there will still be risk of transmitting illnesses. Everyone should stay vigilant about the health of members of their teams. These guidelines are to be integrated with the NFHS guidelines and the MHSAA Mississippi Sports Medicine guidelines. The situation with Covid-19 is rapidly changing. Please keep up with the latest from the CDC and the Mississippi Department of Health.
On Site Considerations:
- Post social distancing signs
- No mask no entry
- Hand sanitizing stations
- On duty personnel, concessions, and restroom attendant wear gloves/mask
- Frequent sanitizing of restrooms
- Runners stay with their school no socializing between schools
- Race start times should be staggered to allow for social distancing
- Host schools should specifically mark off areas for teams to set up their team camp distancing, spectator, registration, athletic trainer, etc. for distancing purposes
- To prevent gathering of athletes, parents, and fans results will not be posted all results should be posted on MS.MileSplit.com by the host school as soon as possible after the meet
- Attendance policy & quarantine procedure will be determined before team competition begins and at the appropriate time
Return to Competition
- Social distancing of at least 6 feet should be maintained at all times. No hugging, shaking hands, or fist bumps for support/encouragement.
- Cross country meets should consider using staggered, wave or interval starts.
- Possible Rule Modifications:
- 8-1-3a: Consider widening the course to at least 6 feet at its narrowest point.
- Consider using finish corrals and FAT timing for larger meets as easier to distance at finish.
- With no FAT timing system consider alternative means of finish place and time to address congestion at finish line.
- Consider using image-based equipment at finish to assist with picking place to avoid congestion.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and exercise equipment.
- Pre and Post Game Ceremony: Establish cross country specific social distancing meet protocols including the elimination of handshakes before and after the match.
Considerations for Coaches:
- Communicate your guidelines in a clear manner to students and parents.
- Consider conducting workouts in “pods” of same students always training and rotating together in practice to ensure more limited exposure if someone develops an infection.
- Keep accurate records of those athletes and staff who attend each practice in case contact tracing is needed.
Considerations for Students:
- Consider making each student responsible for their own supplies
- Students should wear their own appropriate workout clothing (do not share clothing), and individual clothing/towels should be washed and cleaned after every workout immediately upon returning home.
- Hand sanitizer should be plentiful at all contests and practices.
- Athletes should tell coaches immediately when they are not feeling well.
- Cloth face coverings are permitted.
- Bring your own water bottle.
Considerations for Officials:
- Bring personal hand sanitizer. Wash hands frequently
- Don’t share equipment.
- Follow social distancing guidelines:
- Pre and Post Meet conferences,
- Clerking at the start line,
- Tabulations and posting of results.
- Consider using electronic whistle.
- Do not shake hands and follow pre and post-game ceremony guidelines established by state associations.
- Officials personnel may wear cloth face coverings at all times.
Considerations for Parents:
(A family’s role in maintaining safety guidelines for themselves and others):
- Make sure your child and immediate household members are free from illness before participating in practice and competition (if there is doubt stay home),
- Provide personal items for your child and clearly label them.